When analyzing the requirements of his professional context as perceived by Sam and comparing it to his personal motivators the following areas of potential tensions were identified by Sam:
|Sam’s desires, values, sources of meaning||Requirements of Sam’s professional context|
|Thinking, theory, learning about many things||Practical knowledge, focused on financial management|
|Service orientation, participative leadership||Directive leadership, goal and achievement orientation|
|Time for family, work-life balance||Long hours, extensive travelling, career-orientation|
|Engagement in community projects (church and village)||Long hours, extensive travelling, career-orientation|
Areas of potential tension for Sam Someone
However, Sam also realized that his professional context was conducive to satisfying the following desires and living the respective values:
- Enjoying meaningful relationships with colleagues and customers
- Helping customers and team members to achieve financial security
- Figuring out innovative solutions for customers and his sales team members
- Securing a livelihood for himself and his family
Sam started to better understand what his personal values and desires were and how they might interact with the requirements and expectations in his current personal and professional roles. He realized that the trajectory of his current career path might not be the best choice given his personal values and strivings. The subsequent dialogue focused on two main options of self and leadership development:
- Transitioning into a corporate training department
- Exploring leadership opportunities in community based non-profit organizations
The resulting short-term path chosen by Sam was to discuss opportunities of transitioning into a training role within the insurance company with his superior and with human resource personnel. Depending on how this approach might play out, Sam intended to delay exploring other opportunities in the non-profit sector until later.
- What were the steps used to analyze the challenges Sam was facing and to identify options for him to move forward?
- How could those steps help you in your personal and / or professional context?
- How would you like to apply these steps in your context?
Sources of Meaning Profile
Based on Frankl’s work Gary T. Reker (1996) has developed a scientific instrument – Sources of Meaning Profile (SOMP) – which allows individuals to identify and prioritize several areas of meaningful engagement and value actualization.
- Please complete the Sources of Meaning Profile
- While you will receive a more detailed evaluation in response to your submission of the results as part of our first e-mail conversation, you can start making sense of you completed profile here.
Summary and interactive exercises
In this module you have been provided with an overview of this interactive e-course, you have learned been introduced to the concept of meaningful living particularly in the context of Viktor Frankl, you have seen how this approach can be applied to the case of Sam Someone, and you have been able to identify your own sources of meaning. In addition, several interactive exercises encouraged you to take notes, reflect and work on discovering your own values.
As a next step, please do email me (firstname.lastname@example.org; subject: E course Life Leadership Module 1) the following:
- Your completed Sources of Meaning Profile,
- Your own first draft of making sense of your Sources of Meaning Profile
- How do you read this?
- What do you make of it?
- Where do you want to take this?
- Your notes on
- What you are striving for,
- In what areas of your life do you experience a lack of meaning,
- In what dimensions of your personal or professional contexts could you see potentials of development that you have not yet fully tapped into?
- How are you currently realizing the three options of discovering meaning (creative, experiential, attitudinal)?
- What works well for you and where do you see opportunities for personal development?
- What particular personal or professional challenges to you currently see and what steps might be helpful for you to discover your options?
As soon as I receive your response, I will review it and provide you with my comments. Further, you will receive the link to Module 2 of this e-learning course.
I look forward to your first “submission” of your respective comments!